Friday 27 May 2011

Gardening



















Alys Fowler's garden

I'm very interested in gardening because I like to eat food and it makes sense to me to grow as much I can. That way I know what's gone into that food, and it gives me a lot of pleasure beyond that of eating it.

I will be writing a few posts about food security because it's something that the WI has always been involved with and I think it's something that should continue. Resilience comes from having independent access to the basic things that we need to survive. Food is one of those things.

But we needn't get too boring about it. Most of us living here in the countryside have access to some land, usually our own gardens. Gardens are wonderful places to sit and relax and feel connected into nature. I love flowers and I don't want to forgo my love of colour in the garden.

I came across Alys Fowler a year ago, and have applied her gardening approach to my own garden and allotment. Here is an article that touches on her style, but I recommend looking at her book The Edible Garden. It's a real inspiration to me and my garden. I look at it often.

If you are interested in gardening, pop over to my blog: http://jump-into-the-void.blogspot.com/ where I often post things about my garden and living in this rural place.




No comments:

Post a Comment